March Break 2017
ACTIVITIES FOR THE 2017 MARCH BREAK
Timmins, ON – There is something to do for children of all ages this March Break! The Timmins community events calendar is filling up with activities for young and old for the week of March 11 to 19. Tourism Timmins has released the list of events early as some require pre-registration to participate. March Break is full of great activities in the city of Timmins!
- Kamiskotia Snow Resort—Snowmobile Hill Drag Saturday March 11 —Family tickets $15, Individual Tickets $5, Children under 10 FREE. Racing starts at 12:30pm Racers register at www.isrlicense.com
- Porcupine Ski Runners will be hosting their annual Loppet on Sunday March 12 . Call 705-360-1444
- “Family Paint Event” presented by Brush Strokes Timmins—For kids and kids at heart! Are you looking for something to do on these cold winter afternoons? They are happy to offer you and your children this wonderful opportunity to come express your creative talent! Sunday March 12 from 130pm to 3pm, (doors open at 1pm) Cost is $25 per person. Cost includes 11X14 canvas and paint. For more information or to register, please contact Krystine at email@example.com
- The Seizure & Brain Injury Centre’s 1st Annual Bowl for Brains fun bowling tournament will be held Sunday, March 12 with three time slots: 11am, 1pm and 3pm. Challenge your friends, family or business partners. If you would like the challenge to be sent from the Seizure & Brain Injury Centre, please e-mail them their name and contact information and they will send out the challenge. Cost is $100 per team of four to sixor $25 per individual and they will help you create your own team. Or you can collect pledges. There are prizes for top individual fundraiser, as well as the top fund raising team and other categories. Register early by going to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Timmins Board Game Group hosts a Games Night every Tuesday at Christopher’s Coffeehouse. They provide a selection of games, and can teach you how to play them. You are welcome to come solo and join the group or come with friends. You can also bring your own favorite game.
- Science Timmins will be hosting a March Break camp for children aged four and up. Each day of the week will have a different theme: Monday is SCIENCE, Tuesday is TECHNOLOGY, Wednesday is ENGINEERING, Thursday is ARTS and Friday will be MATH (STEAM)! The camp will run from 8:30am to 3:30pm and the cost per day is $40/child. Members of the Science Village receive a 10% discount! Spots are limited so parents are encouraged to register their children in advance. Contact them for more information—Science Timmins, 225-225 Fifth Avenue, Timmins or call (705) 268-4543.
- The Archie Dillon Sportsplex Pool has finalized their March Break Pool Schedule and aside from the regularly scheduled Public and Family Swims, Tim Horton’s has sponsored the following free swims:Monday, March 13 from 1:15pm to 2:45pm / Wednesday, March 15 from 1:15pm to 2:45pm / Friday, March 17 from 1:15pm to 2:45pm
- The Timmins Public Library has a great list of activities from March 13 to March 17 .
Monday— The Library Dragon Puppet Show with games/prizes/crafts for a $2 admission at 10:30am. ages two and up.
- Maker Afternoon / Un après-midi d’atelier – gratuit (a bilingual activity) from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. The activity is free for children ages 9 to 12 years.
Tuesday—Théâtre de marionettes Le dragon dans la bibliothèque (jeux/prix/bricolage) $2.00, 10h30 2 ans.
- Popcorn and a Movie For ages 4+ at 2:00 p.m. “Moana” and it is free to attend.
- Bedtime Pyjama Story & Craft—(South Porcupine at the C.M. Shields Library) Ages 3+ at 6:30 p.m. This event is free to attend Call (705) 360-2623 ext. 8590 for more details.
Wednesday—Théâtre de marionettes—Le dragon dans la bibliothèque (jeux/prix/bricolage) $2.00 10h30 2 ans +
- March Break Mini-Putt / Congé de mars Mini-Putt, from 2:00-3:30 p.m. 14h00-15h30 Bilingual/bilingue Free/ gratuit Ages 4+ ans.
Thursday—The Library Dragon—Puppet Show (Games/Prizes/Craft) $2.00 at 10:30 a.m.
- Ages 2+ Craft/bricolage St-Patrick’s Day / Fête de la St. Patrick Ages 5-12 ans $6.00 2:00/14h00 Bilingual/bilingue.
Friday—Free popcorn and a movie For ages 4+ at 2:00 p.m. The Jungle Book.
- Lego Makerspace at M. Shields Centennial Library (South Porcupine). Join them for their Lego Makerspace during opening hours. (no registration required).
- The Timmins Museum National Exhibition Centre has a great line up of activities:Families are invited to check out Kids Celebrate, a travelling exhibition from the Canadian Museum of History. Dive into the celebrations that bring families together in Canada’s many cultural communities. Discover your Chinese zodiac, challenge each other to an igloo-building competition, parade in colourful Carnival costumes, or play make-believe in the Thanksgiving kitchen. Admission to the exhibition is free, and the museum is open Tuesday to Sunday. To further enhance this exciting exhibition, the museum will be hosting the following special drop-in activities, available from 10am to 12pm, and 1pm to 4pm. Activities are geared for children age six and up, but would be much enjoyed by younger children with help from an adult.
- Celebrate Japanese Children’s Day! In Japan, there is a special day just for kids! Discover Japanese culture and some of the special things they do to celebrate children by creating a carp kite which are traditionally hung outside homes on Children’s Day.
- Celebrate Carnival! Get your glitter on and create the brightest, most festive Carnival mask to parade around our exhibition.
- Celebrate the Day of the Dead! While Mexico’s Day of the Dead may seem spooky, it’s actually a celebration full of colour and sweetness! Explore the meaning of this celebration by decorating a sugar skull and creating a papel picado, a popular tissue paper decoration.
- Celebrate Earth Day! Earth Day helps individuals to celebrate and learn to take better care of our planet. Recycling and repurposing are some of the ways we all can lend a hand. Create and decorate your own reusable bag using different recycled materials to express your unique personality! Admission to this activity is $3.
- The City of Timmins Leisure Services free skating schedule sponsored by Caisse Populaire is as follows:
|March 13, 2017||Sportsplex||10:00 AM||11:00 AM|
|March 13, 2017||McIntyre||1:00 PM||2:00 PM|
|March 13, 2017||Whitney||2:30 PM||3:30 PM|
|March 14, 2017||McIntyre||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|March 14, 2017||Sportsplex||2:30 PM||3:30 PM|
|March 14, 2017||Whitney||4:00 PM||5:00 PM|
|March 15, 2017||McIntyre||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|March 15, 2017||Whitney||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|March 15, 2017||Mountjoy||1:30 PM||2:30 PM|
|March 15, 2017||Sportsplex||4:00 PM||5:00 PM|
|March 16, 2017||Whitney||10:00 AM||11:00 AM|
|March 16, 2017||McIntyre||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|March 16, 2017||Mountjoy||1:30 PM||2:30 PM|
|March 17, 2017||Sportsplex||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|March 17, 2017||Mountjoy||3:30 PM||4:30 PM|
There are also two free public skating sessions sponsored by Nancy Gaudet of Royal LePage and Jacqueline Plourde of the CIBC:Monday, March 13 at the Barn in South Porcupine 1pm to 3pm.
Wednesday, March 15 at the Archie Dillon Sportsplex 1:30pm to 3:30pm.
- On Wednesday, March 15 the Silverleaf Writers Guild, a local group of writers at various levels of experience will meet to support one another, share ideas/challenges, and help one another set and achieve goals. You don’t have to be a published writer to attend! Located in Study Room B at the Timmins Public Library from 6pm to 8pm every Wednesday. Call 705-262-3268 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Take Two Theatre is proudly hosting the Quonta Region Drama Festival March 16 to 18, 2017. Tickets are $20 per show, A Festival Pass is $80 (includes all three shows, and Sunday Awards Brunch), and Sunday, March 19 Awards Brunch $25. Tickets are available at: Black Spruce Gallery & Framing (42 Pine St South), and Timmins Square. For more information—www.taketwotheatre.com
- Need a little break from the kids during March Break? Bring your inner Leprechaun at the Northern Ontario Expo’s St. Patrick’s Day Dance! Tickets are $15 each and available at Wicked Stuff, Alfie’s Cigar Store and Jump City. Music by Reuben’s DJ Service, Draws, Midnight Lunch and MUCH MUCH MORE! All proceeds go towards the 2017 Comicon Event on being held on May 6 and 7, 2017. Get ‘yer green on!
- Neo Laser Tag will be open during the March Break with $5 laser tag and $5 access to the kid’s zone. For more information visit them at 440 Algonquin Blvd East, Unit 5, call (705) 531-4824 or check out their web site at www.neolasertag.com
- Check out Cedar Meadows— The Wildlife Tour takes place at 3pm and also at 4pm during the March break. And Spa Grande Nature will be hosting a “bring your friend for 50% off” for one full price and one friend for half off (ages 18 and up), also a “Mommy and me” mani or pedi ages six and up for the week of March 13 – 19.
- Mid-town Bowl located at 70 Algonquin Blvd W, Timmins, (705) 267-3500 will have special March Break prices. $4 per adult (instead of $6.15) and $3.50 for kids under 18 (instead of $5.50). Also groove on as you knock ‘em down! Rock and Bowl all week 12pm-4pm at no extra cost!! (Usually $8/game.)
- Timmins Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy – March Break – Week of March 13 – 17- Gracie BullyProof Camp – Still some space remaining! Call (705) 264-7655 for more details.
Visit these local locations for great activities:
- Kamiskotia Snow Resort— https://www.kamiskotia.com
- Timmins Cinema 6— offering regular times and matinees
- Porcupine Ski Runners—call 705-360-1444 for details
- Sk8te Hollinger
For more great events and to submit local events visit www.timminseventscalendar.ca
If you are a group or organization planning to host an event for March Break, please upload the details to www.timminseventscalendar.ca and select the “Submit” link to share with our community.
For more information contact Marnie Lapierre, Coordinator Festivals, Events & Special Projects, Tourism Department – (705) 360-2600 ext 3785 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Contact: Heather Duhn, Corporate Communications Coordinator
705-360-2600, ext. 2212 email@example.com